Historic Fort Stanton
Designed For Battle, Fort Lives on to Heal
Built in 1855 to protect settlers on Apache land, legendary Fort Stanton has connections to Kit Carson, Billy the Kid and the Buffalo Soldiers. It later became the nation’s first tuberculosis hospital for the Merchant Marine and served as an internment camp for German seamen and Japanese Americans in World War II. Preservation of Fort Stanton’s fifty-three historic buildings is an ongoing project for the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs. Atkin Olshin Schade developed comprehensive preservation recommendations for the most important structures, documented urgent structural and roofing repairs, and oversaw the door and window restoration program. Due to ongoing stewardship, Stanton remains one of the few frontier forts that retains its original buildings.
Structural Engineer: Hands Engineering, LLC; MEP Engineer: M&E Engineering, Inc.; Civil Engineer: RME Santa Fe Engineering and Surveying, LLC; Cost Consultant: Balis & Company; Preservation Consultant: Crocker & Associates