St. Paul’s Episcopal Church occupies a cluster of American Gothic Revival buildings built from the 1930’s to the 1950’s. Our firm designed a new 400-seat worship space to accommodate the Church’s growing congregation and renovated the existing sanctuary to become a chapel for smaller services, The new worship space is sited opposite the existing sanctuary, creating an outdoor courtyard in between to provide an area for receptions and gatherings.
The new building is constructed of brick and stone and relates to the Gothic style of the existing buildings. Building details include Gothic arches and lancet windows, a cast stone watertable, and stepped buttresses with stone caps. The worship space is separated from the side aisles by a series of brick columns with stone bases and capitals which support rows of Gothic arches.
The slate chancel and sanctuary floors complement the interior finishes and furnishings, which were designed in collaboration with liturgical consultant Terry Byrd Eason. The project includes a new 2700-pipe organ designed and custom fabricated by the C.B. Fiske Organ Company.