Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church
Bryn Mawr, PA
Renovation Enhances Church Acoustics and Music Program
Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church is a 3500-member community church known for its preaching, teaching and music ministries. The magnificent sanctuary is regularly the site of musical vespers educational forums, in addition to worship services. Our sanctuary renovation features acoustic, mechanical and aesthetic improvements to enhance the activities in the existing 1927 structure.
The interior sanctuary walls had originally been lined with hollow acoustical tile, considered in the 1920s to be a state-of-the art interior surface material for ecclesiastical projects. Over time, the Church discovered that the tile’s hollow cavity did not sustain the sound produced by the pipe organ and choir. We also discovered that these problems were compounded by how the sanctuary’s ceiling had been fabricated. In response, we used a carefully balanced combination of new ceiling and wall finishes to correct the sanctuary’s previously flawed acoustics, which enhanced performances by the congregation’s superb music program.
A new decorative painting scheme and accent up-lighting dramatically enhance the quality of light in the space. We reengineered the choir loft to accommodate a new pipe organ and our team designed new air conditioning and fire protection systems to increase the comfort and safety of the congregation. The new building fabric conceals all ductwork and sprinkler piping.
A new decorative painting scheme and accent up-lighting dramatically enhance the quality of light in the space.
Structural Engineer: CVM; Roofing Consultant: Levine & Co.